When it comes to lashes, the beauty industry has seen it all—magnifying mascaras, “miracle” growth serums, heated curlers—you name it. No trend, however, is as divisive as eyelash extensions. When lash extensions initially became popular, they appeared to be a quick and easy solution to produce wispy, fluttery lashes without the hassle of falsies or mascara. natural looking lash extensions, like any new beauty procedure, immediately expose their flaws.
Eyelash extensions are one of those genuinely life-changing aesthetic treatments, as transforming as a spray tan and as addicting as gel manicures.
Mascara is always swept on in the car during the nursery drop-off (with another half behind the wheel — safety first) or on the bumpy Piccadilly line en route to the office as a working mother with a sparkly two-year-old. So it’s no surprise that I didn’t miss applying (or removing) mascara when I just switched to extensions.
Aside from the time-saving benefits, lash extensions have a lot more to offer. The second you jump out of bed, you’ll have an instant wide-eyed appearance – with a dosage of feeling ‘done’ plus smudge-free eyelids due to no mascara transfer, which in my case tended to build up during the day.
The key concern, though, was whether they would appear natural and sophisticated at the same time. Unless you want a dramatic look, which many didn’t, they’ve learned the hard way that choosing an eyelash technician is quite essential.
What Are Lash Extensions and How Do They Work?
Eyelash extensions are semi-permanent fibers applied to your natural lashes to make them look longer, thicker, and darker. Individual lash extensions are put with semi-permanent glue to each of your natural eyelashes (one extension per natural eyelash). Lashes extensions can be synthetic, mink, faux mink, or silk strands. However, the material differs from studio to studio. Clients can customize their style by choosing from extension lengths, curl patterns, and tints at most workshops.
- It Works: With lash extensions, you’ll wake up with long, fluttering, stunning lashes every day. The procedure is incredibly successful in improving the appearance of your eyes and looks great on everyone.
- Completely Customizable: You can go for a natural or dramatic look by working with your lash artist to find the perfect length and curl for your extensions.
- Almost Waterproof: You can swim, wash, and sweat in your extensions even if you can’t get them wet for the first 48 hours (although the dryer you keep them, the longer they can last).
- Pain-Free: From start to finish, practically everyone finds the process completely painless.
- It’s (Generally) Safe: Dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and estheticians all agree that extensions are safe for the most part (although there are risks of irritation and infection…more on that below).